Well, Webster's has this to say about it: "Pro"to*type\, n. ... An original or model after which anything is copied; the pattern of anything to be engraved, or otherwise copied, cast, or the like; a primary form; exemplar; archetype." Whereas a mock-up is "a model, often full-size, for study, testing, or teaching: a mock-up of an experimental aircraft" according to Random House. Comparing the two leads me to believe that the prototype would necessarily exist before the mock-up.

Interestingly: The page of dictionary.com where these were found contains an ad for a Rapid Prototyping tool called MockupScreens.

And there aren't 20 words for snow in Inuit. First of all, the Inuit speak multiple languages, so it isn't a rational datum. Secondly, the linguistic structure of most of those languages is such that "number of words" equating to any single word in English is impossible. Thirdly, English has snow, sleet, drift, blizzard, flurry, slush, powder, flakes. You can say that those all mean slightly different things, and that is both true and important; but it does not mean that having 8 words for snow is a measure of how important it is in our culture; that theory has been long abandoned by linguists.

Yes it is, I believe, true to distinguish between a pre-complete entity that functions and a pre-complete entity that doesn't (and no, I didn't mean "incomplete"), but that doesn't mean that mock-up and prototype have /ab initio/ been defined to mean those things. There's actually evidence that in other, analogous, fields, the reverse is true.

So, while no one is a bigger fan of careful definition than I, I believe it's a mistake to assume that everyone who doesn't agree with you on which is which is fundamentally in error. We need to come to a common understanding of these terms, but it is NOT the case that there *was* a common understanding which has been breached.

kt

Katie Albers
Founder & Principal Consultant
FirstThought
User Experience Strategy & Project Management
310 356 7550
ka...@firstthought.com