If it's a thing that shows stuff, rather than being stuff
> itself, then it's a prototype - regardless of what I might use to
> create it.

There's an interesting report in 2005 (
http://www.usability.gov/pubs/062005news.html) reviewing research into the
effectiveness of low-fi (paper) v. hi-fi (software) protoypes. Dr. Bob
Bailey concludes that "[i]n other words, low-fidelity prototypes appear to
be as effective as high-fidelity prototypes at detecting many types of
usability issues.", though he then goes on to discuss circumstances where
hi-fi is preferable.

As a software developer I always preferred doing code prototypes, but I'm
finding the arguments for sketching very persuasive - I've seen a whole lot
of over-commitment and premature lock-in to prototypes, and on one grimly
ironic occasion I was even sent out to maintain a horribly under-designed
system that had been developed years earlier as a prototype in a workshop by
my own trainees.

Can anyone tell me if the article is a valid summary of the research, now or
then?

Francis.