Andrei writes:

"For what it's worth, the larger point isn't about "wireframes."
The larger point is what Dave is saying. If all you create is
wireframes, then you're not really an interface or interaction
designer."

Response:

I completely disagree, which simply goes to show that there can be
very different informed perspectives on what constitutes an
interaction designer.

Most of my 25-year-long career has been based on high-fidelity flows
(both wireframes and high-fidelity wireframes with production
graphics as part of them).  These have been delivered to dozens of
different types of engineering groups and individuals for
implementation in a vast range of products, platforms, software, and
systems.

So it's entirely possible.  Again we see that our field has a broad
range of possibilities, and not a narrow definition.

Andrei writes:

"Further, using software tools to create wireframes is largely
busywork. You can do wireframes with pencil and paper. Why waste time
producing a deliverable with a heavy software tool like Visio or
Illustrator that will never show up in the final product? Just sketch
it. It's both faster and more direct as a designer to do it that
way."

Response:

I've always spent a great deal of time on my flows, both as
early-stage pencil sketches, low-fidelity digital wireframes and
thumbnail graphic flows, and then on to higher fidelity graphics and
heavily described/note-intensive flows and documentation.

I've always considered time doing flows to be thinking time.  I'm
using these graphical maps to consider alternative patterns,
arrangements, configurations, and relationships.  In my own work
there's something about doing the graphical layout that supports my
flow state and ability to think about the overall dynamic
interactional architecture (I've used Illustrator and Photoshop in
combination to do flows and documenation for the past 20 years,
SuperPaint prior to that, and MacPaint back in the early days).

I like maps and flows because it lets me examine alternative patterns
faster.  I can then also have there there to communicate with -
primarily with my associate engineer, but also with clients or other
associates (or apprentices that are working with me).

Personally, I don't use Omnigraffle because I work faster and have
more graphical and layout flexibility with Illustrator.  I can import
graphics from Photoshop master files where I'm creating the
implementable graphics, and scale and move things around in a more
accomodating manner.  In short, I can simply be more graphically
communicative in Illustrator.

The other advantage of using digital tools (and I never do mockups or
prototypes, except for physical industrial design prototypes - as I
work with an engineer to build it for real as the design is being
created), is the ability to quickly copy and make exploratory
iterations.  I find that much more difficult to do with pencil
sketches.  I find myself wanting to copy everything to a second
iteration, but changing just one or two things, and then have both to
compare.

My method and approach has certainly worked for me, and again this is
evidence of not everyone working successfully in the same manner.