Hi Andrew,

There is a bit of religion here, so be fore-warned. In my temple, I
want design to acknowledge the power of soul. My atheist
interpretation of said soul is "connectedness".

What I see in the Google-way is dispassionate and thus souless. Is it
successful? can't deny they have success. But is the success b/c of
the design, or because of something else. IMHO, data-driven design
can lead to success, but it is not the type of success I can live
with. I.e. I wouldn't want to work for Phillip Morris or Exxon
Mobile either. Success without soul is a choice for many.

As a designer though, it seems that soul-lessness is anti-thetical to
the artistic roots of design. So if you want to research and derive
inspiration from research, or research and live by the data, that is
a choice, but I would argue that one is design and the other is not.

-- dave