On 21 Mar 2009, at 17:43, Katie Albers wrote:
[snip]
How do you reconcile data and design (in its broadest sense) here? Why do you need to? Why do we have this aversion to simply admitting that people have non-measurable, but critically important, preferences and we need to acknowledge those and incorporate them into design? (Obviously, in the case of commands, we do just that, but often that's more a matter of default than decision.)
[snip]

Sorry... not quite understanding the argument... The keyboard/mouse tests you're talking about measured:
* user perception of speed
* actual speed
* level of expertise

Giving a bunch of useful information that helps inform design decisions. How you use it depends on how much of the product goal relates to efficiency, how much to user satisfaction, how much effort you can put in to producing experts, etc.

Would not having the data make it better? Am I misunderstanding your point?

Confused...

Adrian
--
delicious.com/adrianh - twitter.com/adrianh - adri...@quietstars.com