The problem with pure data-driven design (testing for 4 vs 2 pixels)
is that they might be missing the point that the result is only valid
for that moment. Humans are not happy with things staying the same (it
might be part of the our survival mechanism to keep changing), because
one year we might like curvy cars and the next year we like boxed
cars. Design from Dave's p.o.v. acknowledges the potential for change
in a design and data-driven design doesn't.