I'm stunned no one has commented on this Core77 article yet:

<http://www.coroflot.com/creativeseeds/2009/03/five_things_interaction_design.asp >

"I went to Interaction09 in Vancouver with an intense personal mission to nail down a clear definition of Interaction Designer, and what abilities are needed in order to be one. Almost every time I asked (and I asked a lot of times), the answer was "I have no idea." Which is funny, because several hundred people with that title gathered together in rooms every day of the conference to agree that the work they were doing was necessary, and worthy of attention and responsibility (much as people do at any other professional conference).

Playing devil's advocate, this raises the Wizard of Oz question: are they really doing something new, unique, and especially useful, once you pull back the curtain? Or are Interaction Designers merely the beneficiaries of a fad, like so many mediocre Seattle bands that got snapped up by labels in the early 90s, by virtue of where they happened to live (I'm talking to you, Candlebox)? It's easy to read things like the IxDA website's definition of the field with a cynical eye, and conclude that intentional obfuscation is part of the profession's appeal:

Interaction design (IxD) is a professional discipline that illuminates the relationship between people and the interactive products they use. While interaction design has a firm foundation in the theory, practice,
    and methodology of traditional design, its focus is on defining the
complex dialogues that occur between people and interactive devices of
    many types -- from computers to mobile communications devices to
    appliances.

Ah, they define complex dialogues. Got it. About time someone started doing that."

Another piece of what I would consider bad PR for our profession.

Dan