"Job titles and descriptions only matter to me when I am looking for a job,
not when I am doing my job"

This was a comment made to me when I was discussing the issue of 'Defining
the damn thing..' at the IA Summit this past weekend. I fully agree that my
current job title doesn't mean squat when it comes to the day to day
activities at work. When I am interviewing for a job however, it is very
important because the hiring manager has a concept about what that job title
entails.

Personally, I would love to see recruiters and hiring managers stop using
job titles and simply publish what their needs are. This would provide
people looking for a job a better representation on what they are getting
themselves into, and allow the designer to properly assess if they can
actually do the job.

Brad Ty Nunnally