On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 12:56 PM, chadvavra <chad.va...@imedstudios.com>wrote:

> Silverlight = not so stable, bloated IE framework

This just perpetuates prejudice and ignorance.

The Reality
Silverlight is not an "IE framework."  It is based on the .NET framework,
which has been in production since 2002.  The UI engine was based on WPF,
Microsoft's latest Windows platform UI technology, and has been in
production since 2006.  Silverlight was originally called WPF/e, i.e., WPF
everywhere--Silverlight brings the core of the .NET framework and Visual
Studio (which MS devs *love* and non-MS devs envy) to cross-platform,
cross-browser.

It is not Windows-only, nor is it IE-only.

I suggest you check out the Silverlight 2 System
Reqs<http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/overview/faq.aspx#sys-req>;
as for browsers, I refer you to this post on Silverlight Browser
Support<http://blogs.msdn.com/jstegman/archive/2008/12/21/silverlight-browser-support.aspx>;
We've found that Quince runs fair decent in IE, Safari 3 (and 4 Beta on
Mac), Chrome, and Firefox.

"bloated"?  Nope.  Considering how much they cram into those 4MB for Windows
and 7MB for Mac, it's not bloated at all.  That's like one MP3 on Win or a
long one on Mac.  And with Silverlight 3, they've added a bunch of good
stuff while reducing the download size (through optimizations).

"not so stable"? How do you corroborate this statement?  Last year's
Olympics ran on Silverlight 2 *beta*.  It went so well, they're renewing for
the next Olympics.  Netflix is giddy about Silverlight for their player.  I
can speak from experience that Quince has been a dream of stability as well.
 Sure there are issues, but overall, it's been great.  On the other hand,
consider
this<http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/162805/mlb_in_social_media_stumble_with_mlbtv_blog.html?tk=loom_art>
.

Don't Let Prejudice Impede Your Professional Growth
I don't want to start a war by any means, but I am just repeatedly amazed at
the level of ignorance and prejudice some people express about Microsoft and
Silverlight, particularly.  It bears correcting.  We should be
professionals, not tribesmen.

Look, I'm sure folks could look at me and blow me off as a Microsoft fanboy.
 If so, let me say I'm just a fan because my long, in-depth experience with
them has made me that.  Microsoft has been very good to me, as a
professional.  While I've never worked for them, they've empowered me--and
the businesses I've worked for--to be more successful; they build and
support great professional communities, and for devs especially, they build
great tools.

That said, I don't let that blind me to see what is good in other solution
platforms or what could be improved in theirs.  In fact, I've long been an
"insider" of sorts precisely so that I could provide positive feedback to
improve the tools I worked on daily.  I don't hate Adobe by any means; I've
been learning Fw cuz it enables me to do my job.  I don't hate Apple--on the
contrary, I really love my iPhone and enjoy my MacBook!

Why would I spend so much (negative) emotional energy on a technology
provider?  That's just silly, IMO.  Especially as a designer--the choice
between technologies that are more or less equal in terms of interface
capabilities (design constraints) should really have little impact.  Just
use the tools that make you most effective as a designer.

If my situation--the project I were on--called for some other technology
platform, I'd think of it gleefully.  An opportunity to greatly expand my
horizons, my knowledge, and my skills.  I wouldn't let prejudice stop me
from improving myself, and it'd be one more tickmark on the ol' résumé
that'd make me that much more valuable.

Even if you don't care about your own professional development, at a
minimum, I suggest folks stop parroting ignorant talking points and just
actually evaluate things for what they are.  The information is out
there--get it from the horses' mouths or reputable, dispassionate 3rd
parties; download trials and try for yourself.  If Silverlight or AIR or
Flash or <insert tool here> doesn't make sense for your context, that's
fine, but dismissing it out of hand due to some prejudice is just plain
silly and unprofessional.

--Ambrose