hi Ruairi,

In my experience, opening a new tab is preferential in this
situation. It allows the user to maintain their place in the paper
while checking out the ad. The ad links can take the user on a side
journey with several pages before they decide that they want to
return to reading the paper. In this case hitting the back button
multiple times to get to where they were is not ideal.

>From the Indo's perspective, you also want to keep users on the site
- and facilitate their return after reading the ad.

PS - did you ever conduct the user testing we discussed last year?

just curious
frank

www.frontend.com