Well, that's certainly a tall order. I'm surprised that you've created a
sort of chronology in your diagram.
To me, this structure leads the diagram to say "we used to do graphic
design, but now we do urban planning", etc.

Have you seen the History Shots poster "Genealogy of Pop/Rock Music" (
http://www.historyshots.com/rockmusic/)?

Personally, I've always appreciated diagrams that retain the messiness of
the matter, as it lets the studious viewer extract more information with a
little extra effort.

BTW, why is industrial design in the diagram and not architecture? Also,
graphic design and industrial design both sprang forth as a result of
industrialized manufacturing, so I'd have a hard time accepting that graphic
design came first. Also, there's lots of interaction design in physical
products (i.e. industrial design).

So, may I suggest an alternative structure that does not imply better/worse,
more important/less important?

I look forward to hearing what others say about the diagram, and to the next
version