I am more in line with Dave. It always depended where I was and what
role I played. Sometimes there was a front-end developers for the
role, sometimes a developer who did fron and back-end, and sometimes
my stuff was used.

But as I moved away from working on web sites to more working on
applications, kiosks, and the like the code has not really gone
straight to production.

Lately though I have been doing interactive protoypes with HTML, CSS,
and JS. And it seems that the development teams have been to some
extent reusing that code for production.

One useful thing I have found is to create a library (with design
patterns and components) which all teams can use. Much like the
Yahoo! Interface Library. I found them very useful for rapidly
creating interactive prototypes.