I don't work on much web stuff, so I'll jump in with this to stir the
pot:

I get a "professional" to write code for me. Embedded interfaces are
generally more difficult for the layman to produce, but also, I want
someone who knows code in and out to write code. ESPECIALLY production
code. Always thought it strange that Google wanted IxDs to code.

Maybe if you're just doing a simple web site, the designer and coder can
be one, but then, those jobs aren't really the core of IxD anyway.

If I was limited to what I could code (even using toolkits like Flex, et
al.) my interactions would be pedestrian, unimaginative, and necessarily
limited by my knowing I had to deliver it in the end.

And, finally, I work at a consultancy and ownership over the code by my
client is the single biggest contributor to the success of the
end-product I've seen in my 15 years. Hands down. So this might be moot
for "in-house" design/development.

My $.02, Gretchen