This has been an "it depends" question for me.
1) It depends on where I was in my career. The higher up I went the
less likely I was coding. (the same is also true of graphic
production.
2) It also depended on what I was designing for. The question is
biased towards Web design. Not everything I've designed has had a
web interface or a graphical interface at all.
3) What was the make up, culture and organization of the company I
was working for.

There have been times where I was responsible for production code as
a designer role and there have been times where I didn't do anything
past wireframes.

I think it is also important to realize that code can be more
separated. There are layers of code and these can be separated out.
This is the model of separating code from design that Expression
Suite is trying to bring in where the graphical is "code" or mark
up separate from the processing code or behavioral code.

-- dave