> I've found no evidence to suggest that someone talented couldn't be great
> at both, if they put the effort into it.

With many other combinations, I'd say sure, it's possible. If it was UX and
something other than programming, I'd say, sure, it's possible. Programming,
however — and you need some programming chops to be of any great worth even
as a front-end implementer (unless you're purely talking CSS/XHTML) — is
something you have to do constantly to stay up on and to stay good at.

The second you start dividing your time, your coding skills suffer. Stop
programming for a few weeks and you get rusty fast. Stop for a few months,
and you might as well be learning a language from scratch. Every developer
I've personally talked to about this has agreed. You may always be able to
think programmatically, but actually writing the code, let alone doing it
well? It's like a second language you never really master and can forget on
a dime.

-r-