We encounter that situation, as well. I can tell you from recent
experience that this can be a serious problem for view-only users
when the application goes live.

Sometimes, the users have a much bigger hammer, but they don't know
which nails to hit. Make it clear to the users why a dual-purpose
screen will be a disadvantage, then let them lead the charge against
it.

Another tactic we use:  Around here, it's very important to follow
standards.  So, we point out that our standard - and the "industry
standard" -- is to use disabled fields when a field can normally be
edited by the user, but is momentarily unavailable because of special
circumstances. If a user can never edit a field, editable controls
(disabled or not) are inappropriate.