I'm with Anne. Go back to the KPIs (and if you don't have any, posit
some and watch people scurry around and make them), and then show a
relationship between those and this specific decision. Or predict it
with guerrilla usability.

The nice thing about that is it sets you and the developer up with a
shared goal, so you're not at odds anymore!

What you have to be brave about is letting it go if there's really
no goal/KPI/whatever associated with usability. (However I'd suggest
that if there isn't one, either why are you bothering building it, or
there's something wrong with your goals.)