> BTW, it might be interesting to read e.g. Otl Aicher's seminal “Die
> Welt als Entwurf” (World as Design) as an important historical trace

Most things that come to my mind where already said. But when digging in
past and current reflections on the design discipline, there are several
good books originally written in German to consider (re-)reading. During
my studies in Düsseldorf, they made me think a lot about what it's all
actually about. Unfortunately not all of them are available in English.

Karl Gerstner, Programme entwerfen / Designing programmes
A classic read, an introduction to design as envisioning dynamic
"programs" or systems, and concrete artifacts being just results of those
programs. It was written before the digitalisation took place, and
provides an advanced way to approach design work, still valuable today.

Systemisches Design, Cyrus D. Khazaeli
Pointing in the same direction, that book introduces a systemic approach
to design, taking into account psychological and semiotic insights. Here's
a review:
http://www.sapdesignguild.org/community/book_people/review_systemisches_design.asp

Helmut Schmid: Gestaltung Ist Haltung / Design Is Attitude
It's actually more a collection of his works, but demonstrates how a
designer/typograph can contribute to bridging cultures (in this case the
Japanese and European), and account for the social responsibility behind
concrete creative work.
http://www.schmidtoday.com/

Felicidad Romero-Tejedor, Der denkende Designer / The thinking designer
A comprehensive essay on the practice of design and a shift of paradigm
from aesthetics to cognition, and to enhance artifacts by giving them a
semantic meaning.

I think the most important challenge to design as a discipline is how to
prevent designers themselves to reduce the scope of their work to pure
tactics and "making pretty things". I know design students and even
practicioning designers who do that, and are "allergic" to any strategic
thinking in their work. In most cases it's not the others who do this,
it's ourselves.

milan

--
milan guenther * interaction design