I used to work as a telemarketer for several years. In the beginning
we had a fixed salary. It didnt matter whether we sold 100 deals or 5
deals per month. The salary was fixed. My colleagues and I chilled at
work. We wouldnt "persuade" the callee too much.

The management saw that people didnt sell as much as they should so a
new salary plan was developed. The fixed salary was lowered alot but a
commision sales system was introduced.

The salary would increase based on the deals you sold.

When we found out how much we could earn by selling more than 10
deals per day, we sold more than 50% of what we used to.

This is ofcourse not a "research" but personal experience.