At 4:30 PM -0400 8/20/09, Jared Spool wrote:

>However, let's keep clear on what the actual data from eye tracking tells us.
>It can't tell us what the user sees. It can't tell us what the user doesn't
>see. It only tells us what they gaze at, which from my experience of working
>with the technology, isn't really that useful.

Except if you're studying driver behavior while texting or something.  I saw a
video today in which they described the use of eye tracking to learn just how
long drivers trying to text (in simulated conditions) took their eyes off the
road.

I know that's not what you're talking about Jared, so I'm not really arguing
against you.  I'm just pointing out that there are some cases where it *is*
helpful -- even necessary -- to know where people are looking, and for how
long.  Or, more specifically, where they are NOT looking.

Elizabeth
--
Elizabeth Buie
Luminanze Consulting, LLC