Well, I feel like I'm taking a huge risk here, both being late and
new to the party and not being a degreed, practicing professional in
this specific field, but I'm having trouble staying silent because I
can't fully support Jared's assertions.

First he says that "A trained observer can get much of this
information through what you call 'traditional' means." Yet the
perception that I'f had in reading his responses here give me the
impression--accurate or not--that eye trackers provide no additional
useful information for a "trained observer." As a technical
communication professional who has a formal degree in the field and
has practiced for nearly two decades, the difference between the
absolute statements and "much of the information" stood out.

I don't claim to be an expert in eye tracking, but I do know that
it's rare to have a situation where it's not good to have too much
data, especially if the data is good. I do know, thanks to my
training, the mechanics of how people actually read, that their eyes
do not follow text but rather stop at points on the page called
saccades. I understand that on web pages and in web and standalone
applications, users' eyes scan similarly, not to read and
comprehend, but to find. Although currently expensive and requiring
specialized training, it seems to me the eye tracking data adds to
the rest of the information that a competent user researcher can
gather using other "traditional" methods. And although eye tracking
data can be interpreted differently by different "experts," so too
can other, non-eye tracking data.

So if you don't believe in eye tracking, fine. But I'm not
convinced that the data that the technique gathers isn't valuable,
and even useful when combined with other data. (I should add that I
don't believe that eye tracking data should be used in isolation.) I
think it is *a* useful tool, certainly not the only useful tool, and
can provide additional useful information that can only lead to
better design. And isn't that the ultimate goal?

Second, Jared said that "You can't tell from an eye tracker what
the users 'sees'." True, but I think that assertion misses a
point. Eye tracking data can lead researchers to investigate why
users "looked" at a particular point, why they focused on a
particular point, why they tracked in certain directions. They can
then delve into whether anything at those points was actually
"seen," and whether anything at those points was recognized and
understood. Eye tracking can also discover whether areas that
developers and designers *want* users to see are in fact looked at,
which can lead to more questions from researchers.

I don't think anyone can reasonably claim that an eye stopping on a
particular point equates to its owner actually "seeing" anything
there. And I agree that anyone who suggests that is "making shit
up." Anyone who uses only eye tracking data to generate conclusions
clearly isn't dong the job competently and completely.

OK, we don't (yet) have developed best practices and theories for
use of eye tracking technologies. (As far as I know anyway; I know
too that there's an eye tracking lab at the University of
Washington's department of Human Centered Design and Engineering
(formerly Technical Communication), and it wouldn't surprise me at
all to learn that research done in that lab has found some best
practices and theories.) But we do know that useful data can be
captured, and used correctly, can improve test results.

So then the question comes down to: Is it worth the investment?

That's a question that only an individual company can decide. But if
you've already decided to invest in usability, then you're (finally)
already in a better mindset to make a better product.

And to be honest, if you actually get nothing more out of it that get
more members of the team observing your tests (as Jared suggests, it
simply draws out the geeks), then that can only be a Good Thing. I
know how hard it is to get programmers and other engineers to observe
usability testing. And I also know how important it is to have them
there.