I am glad that Jim brought up the QA team. They should have specs,
scenarios or prototypes from which to build test plans. If eng knows
they'll get a bug filed against them, they're more likely to
implement to spec.

Designers should also be brought into the QA cycle to catch visual
problems that a QA team might not see. After being trained on good
bug reporting and process, of course.

Finally, I read a lot of "engineers need to learn what we do and why
we do it so that know it shouldn't be changed on a whim", which is
good. However designers also need to provide work that's worthy of
pixel-perfect implementation. That means having some understanding of
and empathy for what engineers do. Bringing them into the design
process to hear from them what their concerns are about implementing
is important. Being available to answer any questions or provide
alternative solutions for difficult-to-impossible implementation
problems is also important (I work on teams that actually assign bugs
to the design team for these kinds of questions, which is great for
making us a part of the implementation team).

However we must also be respectful of their time. I recently spec'd
some work for a designer who was too busy, and found no fewer than 13
shades of grey, at least half of which were barely distinguishable
from the other half. Spacing that was 9 pixels here, 12 pixels
there... you could imagine the same kinds of problems on an
interaction level. Is the engineer really supposed to implement this
exactly perfectly (in which case, what a waste of time to deal with
13 shades of gray!)? Or was the designer being a bit slipshod, and
expects the engineer to extrapolate? How much or how little are they
supposed to extrapolate? Thinking of engineering as internal clients
and being mindful and respectful of their time and skill set is a
critical part of getting a design implemented as spec'd.