On 25 Aug 2009, at 10:34, Audrey wrote:

I am glad that Jim brought up the QA team. They should have specs,
scenarios or prototypes from which to build test plans. If eng knows
they'll get a bug filed against them, they're more likely to
implement to spec.
[snip]

Two other really useful groups to get involved are:

1) Customer Support - they had to with angry phone calls from the stuff that crept out in the last release

2) Technical Authors - they had to explain the complicated steps to perform what should have been a simple task in the last release

I find both groups give a fascinating perspective and often spot issues that I've missed.

[snip]
However we must also be respectful of their time. I recently spec'd
some work for a designer who was too busy, and found no fewer than 13
shades of grey, at least half of which were barely distinguishable
from the other half. Spacing that was 9 pixels here, 12 pixels
there... you could imagine the same kinds of problems on an
[snip]

To be fair - I don't think that this sort of problem is always caused by a lack of respect. I think many designers find it difficult, especially when they're under a lot of time pressure, to remember that it's not obvious to everybody that some changes are significant and others are not.

Cheers,

Adrian
--
http://quietstars.com  -  twitter.com/adrianh  -  delicious.com/adrianh