Brian, I think the danger is demotivating people who have either a lot
of weight to lose or unrealistic expectations. Percentages may seem
more discouraging than encouraging. And the fact that you made no
progress toward your ultimate goal this week or today doesn't mean you
haven't already made significant progress. Percentages don't capture
any of this well.

I may be bone thin and focused on losing 12 pounds, which might take
me 12 weeks or more. A big guy with more weight to lose could lose
that 12 pounds in 2 weeks. If I gain a pound this week, are you going
to put my percentages backward? I'd quit, or lie.

Take a cue from exercise equipment (usually very poorly designed) or
coaches. They repeatedly emphasize what you've accomplished: 2 miles
ticking up! 6 to go! Only 20 minutes until your next reward.

Generally people do want to know what you're offering in order to
gauge whether it's worth sticking around to the next level. A water
bottle or a gym bag? Thanks, but I'll take my reward and quit. A trip
to Paris: I'll keep running.

When I've designed sweepstakes and rewards for online systems, we were
often surprised at which rewards were hits and which weren't. It is
good to space them irregularly; the surprise/unpredictability factor
may be a good motivator.

But as Adrian notes above, people don't do things strictly for the
reward either, unless it's a really big prize; there are all kinds of
social factors like belonging to a community or feeling a sense of
accomplishment that play strongly into how this is designed and what
feedback you provide. Look at the levels on most community boards:
some people will answer a lot of questions for free to be labeled
gurus.

Might be a good Q for the Freakanomics blog on the NYTimes website :)

Diana