My first question on this platform. Well here it goes:

I am restructuring my Experience Design courses for 1st and 2nd year
bachelor students of Security Technology and I would really
appreciate your input. I've already renamed the course "Design for
Security", because it seems to convey the goal of the course
better.

So I want to use methods en techniques from the design discipline to
create more secure/safe environments. Information security is not
what the program is focused on. Main focus is to prevent and detect
man made catastrophes and criminal behaviour, it is has gotten
momentum after the 9/11 attacks. Students are going to work within
the police, army, customs and other security technology consultancy
or supplies companies.

1st year
Don Norman's recent essay in Interactions,
http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/when_security_gets_in_the_way.html would be
the best description of what I want to accomplish in the first year.
Mixing usability and user centered design with developing a security
system. Get to know the user needs and goals in the security domain
in order to achieve the highest possible acceptance of a security
system.

2nd year
Would be more about the funky stuff. I would like to address a
coherent selection of the following aspects:
- using design to increase/decrease perceived security
- using design to make decisions more rational (less or more risk
aversive, less cognitively biased)
- using design to influence (persuade) people to act more moral.

I've heard of an example that Yo Kaminaga, head of the design
department of the RATP (Parisian Metro), used design to decrease (the
costs of) vandalism and petty crime. Those kind of examples would be
very nice to have in more detail.

I have 4 - 6 months to work things out in concrete case studies and
teaching materials. So I hope some IxDA-ers can help me out offering
thoughts and examples.

Thanks a lot!