On Sep 28, 2009, at 5:02 PM, Amy Jones wrote:

Given that it's fairly easy to identify what kind of credit card someone
is using (Visa/MC/Discover/etc), is there a good reason to require
people to select the flavor they're using?  I can imagine that people
might get confused if they're not asked, but I'm curious as to whether
there's any research for or against.

If you're validating the card during the user session (processing it for authorization or purchase), then no.

If you're validating the card after the user session, you might want the extra check. A digit checksum would pick up a single digit error, but the extra validation might be useful.

The other reason is if you don't carry all the popular cards. If you only take Mastercard/Visa (because you don't accept Amex, probably because of the escalated fees), then the selection helps the user realize you don't take their preferred card.

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: jsp...@uie.com p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks  Twitter: @jmspool