From: discuss-boun...@lists.interactiondesigners.com
[mailto:discuss-boun...@lists.interactiondesigners.com] On Behalf Of William
Hudson
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:56 AM
To: Jared Spool
Cc: disc...@ixda.org
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Is there a good reason to require people to idtheir
credit card?

Jared -

Ø  In shopping cart and checkout systems, things are rarely as easy as they
seem.

You could substitute many things for 'shopping cart and checkout' but it's our
job as designers to make this 'magic' happen with minimum inconvenience to
users. Naturally, it's a trade off, but my feeling is that it just doesn't help
very much to ask for the credit card type. It's virtually impossible to get a
valid credit card number from a missed digit and you already have name, expiry
date CCV, address and DNA sample to fall back on. (I was kidding about the DNA
sample, but the guy who invented DNA fingerprinting apparently foresees a world
where we would just spit into something to make a payment - it sounds
unhygienic to me! See the current issue of New Scientist.)

Regards,

William