Jared,

Give a small team a chance to come up with something new and innovative. You
seem to be writing it off before even trying it. I don't know if you have
ever used remote, but if you have, then by the sound of it you must have
been using on an old tool, many years ago. Things have changed. I think you
are confused in when and how remote can be used. Our tool is not a final
inspection method, but can used at the start of a project to inform design
teams. I don't understand how you think it is a final inspection method.
Each tool and method is different, with different trade offs.

This led us to start recommending that teams try to get every team member
> exposed to as many hours of observing users throughout the design process.
> The minimum we're recommending is 2 hours of observation every 6 weeks. The
> best teams have their team members observing users for several hours every
> week or so.
>
> If we agree that behavior is not homogeneous. Are you going to fly your
teams around the world? How do you know what you have found out in North
Andover in the USA applies to Andover in the United kingdom?

To take your list of seven.... my answers in italic

*1) Who your users are*
*Your not going to find that out just by looking locally. If they are just
local then you have an issue that you need to address.
*
*2) What they are trying to do with the product*
*Remote will help you answer the question. As well as identify what works in
which country.
*
*3) How the product fits into their life*
*The way people live life differs greatly between cultures. Remote is a
method that can help you answer this question.*

*4) How they talk about the elements of the application (their terminology
and conceptual models)*
*This will be different for different cultures. Even between England and the
USA. *

*5) What doesn't currently work (and needs attention)
6) What does currently work (and needs to not be broken in a future release)
7) How you'll create elements that'll migrate people who are happy with key
features of the existing design into the new design (aka "embraceable
change")*
*For points 5 to 7 remote can answer these question quickly and cheaply. *

 How do you answer these questions when your users are spread all over the
country, if not the world.

I don't believe that data from remote usability testing or data from eye
> tracking is flawed, misleading, or made-up.

So we don't disagree with Deming in that "In God we trust, all others bring
data."?

I do believe that the inferences drawn from said data is almost always
> flawed, misleading, or made-up.

This depends on the Study design. That is very easy to fix as many
Philosophers of Science have been dealing with this issue for years. Have a
hypothesis before you conduct your test, and don't fish. But surely this
applies to traditional lab testing as well. And is the reason why Web Stats
are great as Hypothesis generating tool, but not a tool to test a
hypothesis.

Give the different tools a chance, please don't write them off before trying
them.

All the best

James
http://blog.feralabs.com