Todd Zaki Warfel wrote:

"Most of these tools are horrible from a UX perspective. They were
designed by engineers, focused on the technology first and slapped
some lipstick on it to make it look tolerable."

Hey Todd - don't go saying that engineers provide poorly designed
interfaces.  GOOD engineers definitely take the time and effort to
come up with a good user interface when the product being engineered
is going to be used by a user.  I would say that programmers and
computer scientists may fit your statement a little better, but a
true engineer takes the entire package into consideration.

Engineer is a professional term that gets thrown around way too much
in the realm of software development.  Engineers are trained to
perform that role, and part of that training includes designing
things properly, which includes the UI when designing an end-user
product.  I would guess that 90% of the people in the realm of
software development that are called engineers should not be based on
training alone.  Now, of the remaining 10%, I can't really comment,
but I would guess that more of those people actually perform the role
admirably.

Sorry, but as an actual engineer, it really bugs me to see the term
misused as often as it is. :)