Todd, I do want to add that I do agree with you completely, though,
about how Remedy and its many competitors are absolute garbage when
it comes to user interfaces.  I'd like to add most CMS applications
to that list as well.

I also agree with your point here:

"This is a methodology issue, not an issue with usability testing.
If that's how your testing is done then change it. If you don't
like the way it's conducted, then change it. It's up to you."

It really is the process that is the problem, not usability testing
(which is different than UCD, by the way, for those of you that seem
to be using them interchangeably).  If you don't have a process in
place to make use of the testing results, then of course the testing
itself is a waste of time.  You need to PLAN for usability testing at
the beginning of a project.  It isn't something you can tack on at
some point and expect it to improve your application.