@Neil - I think structure should be clear and logical, having said
that I still undecided yet whether a category or url-segment such as
'sports' could return a 404 if the user chooses to chop the url to
get to it. No links within the site would point to /sports, only
/sports/windsurfing etc.. so is there an argument to say that any
user who chooses to navigate to /sports via amending the url, would
understand the 404 returned.

@Charles - I'm not sure the pages for the categories should always
exist. If you look at http://www.johnlewis.com/Electricals/Area.aspx
Could you argue the content they have pulled in to that page is a bit
superfluous and simply to populate the category page they have
created?

Interestingly the link http://www.johnlewis.com/Electricals returns a
404, but that's more to do with their dev setup I guess.

http://www.millfieldschool.com

In terms of accessibility, this site uses, what I consider, a very
good technique in that the tabs are not links to the category pages,
but anchor links to the large footer, which is hidden by JS.
Therefore if a users has JS disabled, the mega drop-downs won't
work, but the lack of JS will also reveal the large footer, where the
tabs anchor links now navigate to when the user clicks. This must be
good for SEO (pulling in second level content), accessibility (non JS
users still access the menu) and screen readers?

Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far.

Nik