"another nice use of these mega nav dropdowns is including callouts,
promos, featured items as part of the space "

I guess your definition of nice is different than mine.  I personally
hate it when my navigation has all of that extra junk there, both as a
user and as a usability analyst.  It really does very little to add to
the user experience.  It may be good from a marketing perspective, but
from a purely user-based perspective, they have little to no value.