Nik,

Yes, site structure should be clear and logical, but at what point in
the URL is the URL no longer important to users? I'd really like to
do a study to find out.  But my guess is that if your navigation is
clear and logical, users won't care what the site structure is.
I'd say the only time a URL is important to the user is if someone
has copied it and sent it them via email or IM.  And in that case
it's important in deciding if they want to click on it or not. Do
they trust the URL or not.

Going back to the REI example, does it matter that the URL for
"Camping & Hiking" is "http://www.rei.com/category/4500001"; and
not "rei.com/campingandhiking/"? I don't think so.  The navigation
shows that "Health and Safety" is a subset of "Camping & Hiking",
but there's no "/campingandhiking/healthandsafety/".

Decoupling the navigation from site structure allows you an amazing
amount of freedom.  Yes, sometimes it is a 1:1 to structure, but it
doesn't have to be.