Hi,

Here are some books that you might find useful.  The best books on
interviewing probably come from the anthropology, psychology, and
sociology domains.

I'm finishing a book where I include chapters on the three basic types
of interviews: structured, semi-structured, and unstructured.  In many
studies we use a hybrid interview method (start with structured
questions and then move to semi-structured for example).  Many books
focus on individual interviews so for group interviewing, there are
also a number of good books.  Here are few.  My full list is on aother
machine at home so I'll do an update, but here is a start:

Kvale, S. (1996). InterViews: An introduction ot qualitative research
interviewing. Thousands Oaks, CA: Sage.

Robson, C. (2002). Real world research (Second edition). Malden, MA:
Blackwell Publishing.
This book is an excellent reference in that it covers many methods of
research that includes some background.  It covers all types of
interviews, focus groups, and other techniques like card sorting, and
the development of Likert scales (versus Likert-like scales).  This is
a very good handbook that is readable and practical with advice and
supporting references.

Fontana, A., & Frey, J. H. (2000). The interview: From structured
questions to negotiated text. In N. K. Denzin, and Y. S. Lincoln
((Eds.). Handbook of Qualitative Research (Second Edition). Thousands
Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. 645-672.

Spradley, J. P. (1979). The ethnographic interview. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.

More to come.

Chauncey