Setting up a Bluetooth device in pretty much any modern OS is so incredibly
bass-ackward it's actually entertaining.

I've done it in both OS X and Windows. It's slightly easier on a Mac, mostly
because Apple has managed to avoid exposing the user to the whole virtual comm
port and networking adapter mess.

But the core setup process, i.e...

[Read quick start guide] OK, where is the "device discoverable" button?...Press
the "device discoverable" button...Now make the computer discoverable...Quick!
Pair them before discoverable mode times out!...How do I do that?...Oh, I have
to enter a PIN...Is it "0000" or do I need a "real" PIN?...Where did I put the
quick start manual?...Crap, it timed out! [Repeat]

...is four or five object lessons rolled into one about how not to design
hardware, software, hw/sw interactions, and user assistance. Plus, bonus points
for silent failures when devices disconnect after sleep/standby/hibernation.

Despite indications as early as 2003 that Bluetooth was facing a user
experience problem (see
http://www.wsdmag.com/Articles/ArticleID/6598/6598.html), it's clear that the
designers of Bluetooth just didn't get it until it was too late. Even
acknowledging that security and usability are sometimes in opposition, poor
design and what appears to be little-to-no early stage usability assessment has
contributed significantly to this technology's troubles.

Here's some related reading on (the travesty that is) the Bluetooth user
experience:

http://www.ittc.ku.edu/publications/documents/Juola2005_TR-35580-2_Bluetooth.pdf

http://www.theunwired.net/?item=bluetooth-losing-the-manual-is-the-first-step-to-the-future

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:7PqAD44u0GsJ:www.bluetooth.com/NR/rdonlyres/B9A1DCE0-295C-43DF-87FE-D819648EB900/0/BluetoothSecureSimplePairingUsabilityMetricWhitepaper.pdf+bluetooth+unusability&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShyjkGhKU_2Hwib5q3roSdidYBXIXu9cFGmJVJKOesn6zP7XxIdDlZUDWfxMmvDSUlAeXAeQDrfGmBe03CpJj3Cdhi2iOznQYvoxOFxJDfN3zcf-vkHdtImqHE9YKiBRlDPbbUz&sig=AHIEtbTN7ao0XbPxUBBOSxVMFKwo4QmFOg

-Paul
Paul Sherman, Principal, ShermanUX
User Experience  Research | Design | Strategy
p...@shermanux.com
www.ShermanUX.com
+1.512.917.1942