Dear Susan,

Thanks for your reply. That's a really good question. Probably one
that Jeremy could answer better, as he's been around for longer than
I have.

I think one reason might be that Interaction Design programs are
increasingly also offered at universities with a strong emphasis on
academic research. I'm very interested to hear about experiences
from other countries, especially the US; I only have experienced a
European (in the past) and Australian (currently) university
environment myself. In both environments there is a big pressure to
publish regularly at academic conferences.

With "industry" I meant the professional environment, ie design
firms, consulting companies, etc. Sorry that might have been
confusing.

Thanks again,

Martin