Use instruction text on the control when space is a concern.
Ensure that the instruction text conveys the purpose of the control. For
example, 'Search email' in yahoo specifically searches the inbox and not the
web .
Do not display critical instructions that the user needs to see when using
the control.

Using colors may cause some readbility issues for color blind or elderly
participant.
It should be ok, as long as the content is accessible even when the styles
or color is turned off.

Let me know your findings regarding the use of color.

-Suba