I'm not sure I understand what problem the sliding labels are supposed
to solve. I thought putting labels inside input fields was a
compromise solution, for placing instructions in forms where few space
is available.

With sliding labels, the final form occupies the same space than a
classic form with labels near to the input fields. So why would you
want to use a form with sliding labels when you have the available
space to put a complete static form?

(I see that the initial state of the sliding label form is cool, and
has a more beautiful design. Maybe aesthetics is the primary
motivation for this technique?)