Hi. We just tested a site for many issues including this one. The
participants needed to create a login and password for registration.
An email address was required for the login and this was explained in
the field.

About 80% of our test subjects clicked in the field before reading
this nugget of information, thereby obliterating any hope for all but
one of getting any further along with the registration. We had one
savvy user on his third try guess that an email address might be
required based on his previous experience.

As a result, this instructional text will be placed outside of the
field.