On 2008/06/12 5:01 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
IMO:

Paul,

Some Local Chapters are going through this process currently, e.g. OSGeo-AustNZ.

We will need to incorporate as a non profit within Australia with its overheads of audits, annual fees etc.

One potential upside is that we may get some protection by way of Directors Insurance for people making decisions on behalf of OSGeo (or the local chapter).

During the recent FOSS4G-2009 work, several of us were left high and dry with no protection from the parent body. This situation is not acceptable.

I understand what Bruce is referring to, but, depending on
the relevant legislation, should an issue ever arise where
'the legal system' was potentially going to be involved, the
lack of a "Directors and Officers" or "Volunteers" insurance
policy may not leave people "high and dry".

Sometimes, legislation will protect people who provide
services to an organization on a volunteer basis. The
premise is that if such lay people are acting on a best
effort basis to 'do the right thing', they are protected,
even if it turns out they 'did the wrong thing'.

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems

Degree Confluence Project: