On 7. juli. 2008, at 19.26, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

On 4-Jul-08, at 2:40 AM, Kjell Are Refsvik wrote:

- they will be your best friends soon.

I am not completely sure how these two specific programs from the gdal package relates to the challenge of outputting a png from 2 shapefiles (map and legend).

ogrinfo can be used to give a report on the type of coordinates being used in your shapefile. You can 'cd' into the directory of your shapefiles and then type:
ogrinfo yourshapefilename.shp -so -al

This should give you a short report. When asking for help you can include this report and others will see more information about your dataset without having to download it.

Splendid. Thanks.

gdalinfo operates a similar way but for images and rasters. This may not apply to you at the moment.

Right.

You can read more about these tools and more in chapter 3 of my book:
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596008659/

Fortunately some of these examples are included in the free online chapter at http://oreilly.com/catalog/webmapping/chapter/ch03.pdf ! (around book page 30)

Hope this helps.  Enjoy,
Tyler

I am learning new thing with every new email, yes. Thank you for the reference to your book.

It looks increasingly like I have to dive in to the workings of the geoserver to be able to output png files of a mashup between my geotagged images and my maps.

Having participated once in a OpenStreetMap mapping session, I wonder if OSM is run on top of GeoServer and could be used together with i.e. OpenLayer to do what I want? Still - downloading and installing everything needed, seems laborious compared to a simple conversion from shapefile to png.

Any particular reason why a simple conversion between shapefile and png seems so cumbersome to do via a simple program accessible through the command-line?

Hm... Not sure I am out of the woods yet, as a png seems a long way off.

Kjell Are