Gerald B. Cox wrote:

I have opened a feature request (Bug 1061) as follows:

"Native support of OGG VORBIS format in firmware.  I've read that FLAC is now
supported in Slimserver2.  My friends and I have been waiting for native OGG

Well we had to wait about a year and buy new hardware to get native FLAC (NOTE: not a complaint; just an observation) so I would anticipate spring 2006 and the SB3. ;-)

Personally I think that OGG VORBIS may become 'betacized'.
Sure it is better than MP3 but MP3 is the 'VHS' of audio and
FLAC/AppleLossless are the two 'DVD' contenders.  With the
constantly increasing bandwidth and storage capacity those
who are serious about quality will go FLAC, Apple Lossless,
or even uncompressed and almost everyone else will be happy
with the ubiquitous MP3 de facto standard (until, perhaps,
that bandwidth and storage curve makes it irrelevant as well.
Personally I hope FLAC becomes the lossless de facto standard.
In any event I strongly suspect 'better than MP3' lossy formats
will slowly loose all traction in the market.

--
Daryle A. Tilroe