Ever since I got my first SqueezeBox, I've wondered why Stop and Mute
buttons were not provided on the remote, especially since there are
three empty key spaces available on the remote. These just seem like
very logical buttons to find on a remote control. Also, if they were
simply overlooked, why were they not added when SqueezeBox2 was
released?

I'm aware that Stop functionality can be invoked by pressing and
holding the Pause key, but this is not "discoverable" (i.e. not without
reading the documentation, anyway). I just bought a SqueezeBox2 for my
dad and this is one of the usability issues that arose.

Anyway, at least Stop can still be invoked from the remote in some
fashion, but why is there no Mute button (i.e. to set the volume to
zero and then back to the previous volume setting if pressed again)?  I
appreciate that in some situations Pause can be used, but it is not
always desirable to pause the stream (e.g. when synched with another
player or when listening to a live radio stream). There are some
instances where you really just want the volume muted.

Is there a mute function that can be mapped to remote?

--
rds