I set up my new toy last night so thought I'd share some first
impressions. I'll start with the niggle first; I'm not entirely in love
with the platinum case. The finish (to me) is a bit flat (it looks too
much like a plastic box painted flat silver, which is what it is I
suppose) and it seems to emphasise the 'radio alarm' look of the
housing. I contrast this with my recollection of opening the packaging
of my SB1 a year ago and being very impressed by the black textured
finish. The black casing also 'disappeared' into the cabinet which
houses my AV gear, making the display seem to 'float' in mid-air, where
now the SB2 stands out and it looks like someone's put a radio alarm in
there. I suspect I may end up swapping the SB1 and SB2 boxes over. Are
there any differences internally to prevent me from doing this? I'm
sure there would be a market for a slightly more expensive model with a
classier housing, but I appreciate that small companies are limited in
what their design teams can take on. Maybe an aftermarket opportunity
for someone? Anyway, considering the capabilities of the SB2 and the
price, I do feel mean being so picky about the case. If I were to buy
again though, I'd definitely go for the black.

Set-up was painless and easy. I downloaded and installed the latest
nightly, changed my wireless network security from WEP to WPA, plugged
in the SB2 and off she went. There was a minor hiccup when the
Squeezebox couldn't find the DHCP server, but allocating a manual IP
address and entering the addresses for the various network components
did the trick. I did regret choosing a longer than minimum shared key
as entering it via the numeric pads is a bit of a kerfuffle, but
hopefully I'll only do it once.

The positives: the display is superb, I'm really impressed. If this was
the only improvement over the SB1, I'd consider it worth upgrading.
Clear, readable, fast and aesthetically very pleasing. I love it. I
really like the little touches, like being able to have a news ticker
screen saver when the box is off. I haven't had a serious listening
session yet and I chose to plug the SB2 in as a direct replacement for
my SB1 (which means I'm using an external DAC so cannot comment on the
sound of the Burr-Browns), but there does appear to be a significant
improvement in (the already excellent) sound quality over the SB1. It
seems cleaner and clearer, with more attack and punch. I'll listen to
this a lot over the next few weeks before forming fixed opinions, but
I've already got a good feeling about this model. Add in the other
improvements (802.11g, WPA, wireless bridge, Squeezenetwork, UI
improvements) and this equates to a significantly improved product
which could easily have sold at a premium over the SB1. It's nice that
the price has been kept the same.

In sum, a massive improvement to an already impressive piece of
technology. I just wish I'd bought black. Maybe the platinum will grow
on me ...

--
Fifer