Mnyb;332495 Wrote:
> Many UPS units are also default configured in so called bypass mode.
> To save energy and battery life.
>
> How to explain that with my English ? ok what you want an UPS to do in
> many cases is to run the incoming AC to the rectifier trough the
> battery stack and then make new AC with output inverter all the time,
> even when there is AC at normal levels present at the input.
> To ease the life of the batteries and inverter many UPS bypass input to
> output and keep the output inverter idling, and then in case of power
> loss switch over to to output inverter really fast usually with static
> switches this works realy good in modern UPS but the obvious drawback
> is no surgeprotection.
>
> A word about MOV based surge arrestors (the most common kind) my
> experience is that you can easily see when they worked :-) they usually
> exploded, if the surge is big enough, I have changed a lot protective
> circuits in the products I work with, after lightning storms.

Changing the setting of how a UPS treats incoming AC in no way creates
a surge protector or lightening protection. What it does do is make it
more likely the surge or lightening also takes out the UPS, which might
save your equipment because the strike or surge energy was small enough
to be dissipated during the frying of the UPS. Any excess energy is
still going to travel onto your equipment though. If you’re lucky, it
is not large enough to kill your equipment.

Any surge or lightening protectors that have MOVs are not protecting
anything for long or from large strikes and surges. A few small surges
will be kept from your equipment, but after that one is wide open. MOVs
either blow-up or are damaged to were they can no longer do their job
after a few surges. But they do not give any indication that one is no
longer protected because the outlet still provides AC power even though
the surge circuit no longer exists.

Any surge or lightening protector that uses surge diversion to ground
should also be avoided. Yes lightening is looking for the shortest path
to ground and one would think that providing a quick path to ground
would be logical. The problem is your equipment is also on this same
ground.

The two surest ways to protect your equipment from lightening and
surges is by not using the neutral or ground wire in your household
wiring (RGPC 220 Sub-Station and Powerhouse use only the hot phases for
isolation to produce 110VAC, no path to ground for lightening) or using
a Series Mode surge unit (no MOVs, no sacrificial components, no
diversion to ground) such as a Brick Wall Surge Protecting Line Filter.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
'Last.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/mephone)
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono Blocks,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Bedroom: SB3, NAD C370, Thiel 2.3
Home Office: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, VSM-1 Sigs
Mobile: SB3, Audioengine A5