autopilot;335590 Wrote:
> Yeah, i realised it was the Recieva chipset, but i did not realise (or
> ever think about it that hard) that it used the same scrapping
> techniques as AlienBBC. Thats very interesting, i was having a
> conversation elsewhere about this and someone was arguing that Receiva
> chipset based units were a safer bet for future proofing BBC support.

Reciva (spelling correct) were one of the vendors who were talking
directly with the BBC media team to try to get something official in
place.
In theory ... they do not have access to anything beyond that available
to others, including AlienBBC maintainers.

Now for a bunch of speculation ...
If BBC does turn off the RealAudio (live stream and listen again) and
only provide the Flash access to the encrypted MP3 (live stream and
"listen again") but then only uses AAC+ for the live stream then it
would make life difficult (no access to "listen again").
If that were to happen then I could imagine that they would enter into
agreements with manufacturers/developers who wanted to provide access
to the "listen again" content but would need something to try to
prevent the audio content from being easily copied. Similar to the
back-end integration done for parts of SqueezeCenter/SqueezeNetwork
today - without open source.

--
Paul Webster

Paul Webster