On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Merlin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ezkcdude;338809 Wrote:
>> .....OTOH, MusicIP can identify every single song in your library and
>> let you create mixes based on every song. Genius can't do that...
>
> It does create playlists using the music already on your PC.  In Itunes
> 8 a new playlist called 'Genius' is automatically created. Just start
> playing a track from your library then click on that playlist - you'll
> have a bunch of similar songs in there.
>

> --
> Merlin

The previous poster's point was that MusicIP performs an acoustical
analysis on every track in your library and can offer suggestions for
any of them.  I downloaded iTunes 8 yesterday to try out the Genius
functions, and the first three tracks I played generated no Genius
playlist or recommendations.  I thought maybe it was just broken, but
I found a track that worked eventually.  At first I postulated like
the previous poster that it only worked on songs that are for sale in
the iTunes Music Store, but a little investigation showed this not to
be the case, either.  I tested with an album which is not for sale on
iTMS (nor are any of its tracks available in compilations or
anything), and found that about 50% of its tracks were capable of
generating Genius playlists, and the other half caused iTunes to tell
me the song was "unavailable for Genius".  It's possible that these
tracks will become mixable as Apple analyzes more data uploaded by
additional users, but I don't really know how their system works, so.

MusicIP, on the other hand, can analyze literally any audio file you
give it and do its best to make recommendations.

With regard to iPod Classic functionality, I believe you won't get the
playlist called "Genius" on your iPod, but if you like a Genius
playlist you have, you can use the "Save Playlist" button to create a
playlist that can be synced to your iPod.  I'll give that a little
more examination at home tonight, though.

-Steve