I suppose it's the reason why I was interested in the Squeezebox in the
first place: computer audio sucks!

I thought that was the future and invested in a fairly good quality
soundcard (M-Audio Revolution) and some good quality speakers but the
sound was just never close to the sound from my home theatre system
with "real" speakers.

I suppose you can get computer-based audio sounding as good as the
Squeezebox but not without paying more than the Squeezebox.  You'd need
a serious soundcard, maybe even an outboard DAC.  You'd still be chained
down to selecting music using your computer, you'd have to be in front
of it at all times.  And it'll be just lovely when some random program
decides to use its inane sound files to tell you you've got more spam
in your inbox.

The Squeezebox gives higher-quality sound than an average computer
could achieve and it allows you to select it remotely, away from your
noisy computer - wherever you want it.

--
Mark Lanctot

Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta)
Stored: Boom (PQP1 - early beta), SBC (beta - no battery)
Sold: SB3, Duet