sure, I could do it with my laptop, but that would mean dragging my
laptop around the house...

Instead, I have fixed players hardwired into decent sounding systems,
and I don't have to move anything....  I don't have to drag a machine
to the bedroom to listen to music as I go to sleep, or as I wake up...
and then move it when I go make coffee in the kitchen, or move it
again, when I sit on the couch or in the office...

My former boss doesn't get it either: "but you could just use an
ipod!"... never mind that the iPod has nowhere near the sound nor
capacity (nor features!) of a Squeezebox... it doesn't have the
portability either: in that I don't have to move -anything- to make my
music follow me around the house.

True portability is constant availability, not dragging equipment
everywhere.

--
snarlydwarf