Sorry if you've had bad experiences, but I must say some of your
comments sound like urban legend type hearsay.

Having worked for many years in Silicon Valley with drive and component
companies, my experience has been that the mainstream companies put
extreme emphasis on quality and do not mess around with inferior parts
that are cheaper or cost savings approaches that jeopardize
reliability. The damage caused by problems will never justify a cost
savings. Of course manufacturers will negotiate hard for lower prices,
but not at the sake of quality.

You are right in saying that electronic devices are most vulnerable to
heat and shock, and nothing more so than an electro-mechanical drive.
They fail, and the best way to deal with that is to buy them two at a
time and keep two copies.

But, I think there's no reason for some of the other posters to scare
someone away from an external drive. Buy a mainstream brand and you'll
be fine.

--
Goodsounds